Friday 29 February 2008

Jason Gillespie announced his retirement

Former Australian fast-bowler Jason Gillespie announced his retirement from first-class cricket Friday.
The 32-year-old paceman announced his decision during South Australias Pura Cup match against Queensland.
Gillespie, Australias sixth-highest Test wicket taker, has turned his back on the
domestic game to concentrate on his family and the rebel Twenty20 Indian Cricket League, for which he has signed for three years.
He said it was a tough decision, but one he was comfortable with.
Im very excited it certainly is a change, but its something Im very much looking forward to, he said.
The opportunity came up and I had to weigh things up, I wasnt sure what I was going to dowhether I was going to play on another season with SA.
I was umming and aahing at that point.
The body is feeling good so well see how we go; obviously I cant do the things I could do six or seven years ago, but I still feel Im contributing.
Gillespie had a lot of problems with injuries early in his career, but recovered to become one of the countrys finest quick bowlers.
I am grateful to Cricket Australia for sticking by me early in my career when I was plagued by injuries, he said.
And I am grateful to the selectors who continued to have faith and select me to play in more than 175 first-class matches.
Gillespie took 259 wickets in 71 Tests at 26.13, with best figures of 9-80.
In his last Test, against Bangladesh, he made and unbeaten 201 as a night watchman.
He also played 97 one-day internationals, for 142 wickets at 25.42.

No comments: