Saturday, 1 March 2008

Proteas take Control against Tigers

South Africa seized total control of the second Test after Bangladesh stumbled to 60-3 in the first innings replying to the visitors mammoth 583-7 declared at the end of the second days play at the Chittagong Divisional Stadium on Saturday.
Openers Tamim Iqbal (14) and Junaed Siddique (18) both returned to the dressing room and they were quickly followed by skipper Mohammad Ashraful, who went for a first-ball duck.
Dale Steyn took all three wickets to compound Bangladeshs woe and in the process became the quickest South African bowler to claim 100 wickets in Tests. Bangladeshs Mohammad Rafique also achieved the mark earlier with the ball playing in his final match.
At stumps, Shahriar Nafees was batting on seven while night-watchman Abdur Razzak successfully warded off more than three overs to remain unbeaten on eight. Razzak gave Bangladesh the biggest relief of the day, however, not with the bat but with the ball.
He gave Bangladesh the first breakthrough when Graeme Smith was clean bowled off his bowling shortly after the South African captain broke the world record of 413 in the opening stand, set by Indias Vinoo Mankad and Pankaj Roy 52 years ago, partnering with Neil McKenzie.
The duo added only two runs before Razzak separated them on 415. Hasim Amla and McKenzie added 99 runs for the second wicket to take South Africa out of Bangladeshs reach.
Shahadat Hossain struck after the lunch break to claim three wickets in three overs that included McKenize, who transformed his overnight 169 into a maiden double century, Hasim Amla (38) and AB De Villiers (1). McKenzie scored 226 runs off 388 balls clobbering 28 fours and three sixes. Sakib got rid of Ashwell Prince (2).
However, Jacques Kallis and Mark Boucher were still there, though they were having a difficult time in the middle.
Kallis was dropped on 38 by wicketkeeper Mushfiqur Rahim off Mohammad Rafique, who was still struggling to get a wicket. However, Boucher gave him the wicket two balls later when he drove the spinner to Sakib al Hasan at cover.
Two overs later Robin Peterson gave catch off Rafique which Junaed Siddique held after a slight deflection off the pads of Mushfiq. With the wicket of Peterson, Rafique fulfilled his dream of 100 Test wickets and South Africa did not wait further to declare.
And they looked quite happy at the end of the day.
We have got what we wanted to be in. Mission accomplished and we are happy with the position we are now in, said South African coach Mickey Arthur.
In the morning we were looking about to score 600 with an hour to go. We knew it was going to be a little bit difficult to score today. The pitch was lot more defensive than it was yesterday, he added.
I am very satisfied, obviously our middle order missed out today. But they played quiet well in Dhaka. So all our batsmen have had a go, said Arthur.

No comments: